23 Feb The problem with SEO
23 Feb The problem with SEO
I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Scotty, and I work in digital marketing. More specifically I work in a specialist agency that deals with SEO and AdWords management. No, I’m not in India.
Digital Marketing is a broad term used to describe advertising on the internet. Using a computer and a modem to deliver you traffic to your website. Simple right?
One aspect of Online Marketing is SEO – Search Engine Optimisation. If you are a business owner and you haven’t heard this already, you need to get out from under that rock. Fact.
The problem is, most business owners / managers HATE the letters SEO.
Here are the top 5 reasons why:
1. It’s expensive
2. We don’t understand it
3. People get ripped off – zero results
4. I get 20 emails and 10 phone calls a day from India about it and I’m really annoyed
5. I tried it before and wasn’t finding the value
I get these and more all the time. Here’s my reply/solution:
1. Marketing isn’t expensive if you get a good return on investment (key word – investment)
2. You only really need to understand 3 things if you are outsourcing your SEO – see below
3. As with any purchase, if you shop on price, you’re going to get burnt.
4. You only get 20 and 10? I get 80 and 40. Such is life.
5. See solution one. Value = return on investment.
**Important Note: Your SEO company should be setting KPI’s around conversions NOT traffic. (Yes… there is a difference)
You will never be let in on the exact details of Google’s algorithms that determine exactly what gets your website to rank where BUT there are 3 things to know about SEO and ranking on the first page of Google.
1. Firstly – Google doesn’t care about your business. They care about their business and the consumer experience.
2. Based on the consumer search behaviour, whenever someone searches for a product or service, Google will automatically search your entire websites’ content (even pictures) for relevance to that consumers’ search. Relevance.
3. If your site is deemed to be relevant (along with your competitors and other similar sites) Google will then look at the authority of your site. Basically, domain authority is based on how many other websites have referenced your website (backlinks). Authority.
**Important Note: There are backlinks and there are backlinks. If you think putting a link on a business directory in Slovenia will assist your rankings. WRONG. Authority (according to the top SEO companies worldwide) comes from content marketing. But that’s a whole blog on its own.
If you ever need to learn more about SEO or you wanted to have a brief chat, feel free to send me an email and I’ll respond in turn.
I hope you guys are kicking massive goals out there in the business world!